I am going to brag a bit this week and start with something that I have never made before – French macarons. John’s girlfriend requested that I make “French colorful cookies,” so I gave it a shot. I read at least a dozen recipes, watched youtube videos and read reviews about what worked and what didn’t work. Did you know these are made with almond flour? I didn’t even know that. And, I had never eaten one before. I am happy to say mine came out looking pretty good! I filled with chocolate ganache, dulce de leche and raspberry jam (the last was my favorite). I’ll definitely make them again for a special occasion, like, when someone asks me to. Would you pay $2 a piece for these?
The beginning of summer is my favorite time of year here. The days are long, the chickens are happy and the garden is exploding. I am one lucky lady that my husband loves to garden and all-things-green. He wakes up BEFORE FOUR IN THE MORNING on a workday to water the gardens, and he even planted rose bushes outside our bedroom window. We have been enjoying lettuce from the garden every day this week. Fabulous!
What are we eating this week? I’m still working my way through the pantry and fridge. Here’s what I came up for this week’s menus:
- grilled chicken (buy whole chicken cut up plus a package of chicken legs, throw in ziplock with marinade when you get home from grocery store), grilled baby peppers, grilled naan bread.
- hamburgers (yes, hamburgers again, it is summer after all), watermelon, green salad
- broccoli with garlic sauce, pork loin with same garlic sauce, brown rice
- shakshuka (because we have fresh eggs and plenty of canned tomatoes) with pita or rice
- pizza in the cast iron skillet, with mozzarella and Italian sausage for some, and with spinach and smoked mozzarella for others
- meatball subs – nothing fancy – bake the meatballs from the freezer, add marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and serve on a hoagie roll with a big green salad
Enjoy! xo M.