A couple times a year I take a full inventory of what’s in the fridge, freezer and pantry. Usually, I get motivated to do this when the pantry seems full and the wallet seems empty. Here’s a peek into my kitchen this weekend:
Pantry – chicken broth x2, taco shells, green chile enchilada sauce, whole tomatoes x5, diced tomatoes x2, tomato paste, pickles, water chestnuts, chickpeas, chipotles in adobo, black olives, smoked salmon in tin, vermicelli noodles x2, box rice pilaf, box corn muffin mix, popcorn, 1/2 box Asian rice noodles, bread crumbs, polenta (about 1 cup), white grits, Israeli couscous, rice, dry milk (for bread in bread machine), chocolate chips
Fridge – kale, 1/2 jar BBQ sauce, jar red curry, jar black bean garlic sauce, masa harina, tahini, salsa, plain yogurt, buttermilk, heavy cream, egg whites, grated parmesan cheese, bacon, swiss cheese sliced, Romaine lettuce, carrots, scallions, lemons
Freezer – corn tortillas, meatballs (bought in bulk from Alex’s last job), pizza dough, pine nuts, 1 whole chicken, tater tots, frozen peas, green beans, corn and sliced carrots
I stopped at Costco on my way home from a soccer game yesterday and bought ground beef (6 pounds!), Italian sausage, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, asparagus, peppers to grill, Italian bread… enough to get us through the next few days. Here’s what I came up with using what I already have on hand in italics:
- hamburgers with swiss cheese, Romaine lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, etc, and kale salad with olive oil & lemon juice & parmesan & toasted pine nuts
- panzanella with Italian bread, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, black olives, and grilled Italian sausages
- Israeli couscous salad with asparagus, scallions, dijon vinaigrette, and grilled chicken with BBQ sauce, and grilled baby peppers
- pizza, in the cast iron skillet, remember this pizza recipe?
- stir fry with black bean garlic sauce, water chestnuts, noodles & rice (make extra rice for fried rice later in the week)
- fried rice with ham/eggs/tofu, and frozen vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, green beans)
- chickpeas with tahini yogurt sauce, and chicken shawarma
- pasta with Italian sausage and tomato sauce
- chicken enchiladas with green chile sauce and corn tortillas, refried black beans with garlic and cumin
- Asian meatballs with Romaine lettuce
- grits and … shrimp (?) or eggs and cheddar cheese
- tater tot casserole with cheddar cheese and green onions (what the heck?! how did that end up here?!)
- what to do with smoked salmon – pasta with asparagus? salads? with scrambled eggs or pasta (see #10!)?
- what to do with egg whites – any one of these ideas will work!
- what to do with red curry paste – curried fried rice balls? yum!!!
Breakfast and snack ideas, for when the kids open the fridge and say those words that we know all too well, “there’s nothing to eat in here”:
- corn muffins
- cream scones
- buttermilk pancakes/waffles & bacon
- meatball subs
- chocolate chip cookies
Next time, I’ll figure out how to work these into the menu:
Have a great weekend, everyone! xo M.