I took five girls ages 12-15 to the beach this past weekend. We met a few challenges along the way. The first and perhaps most devastating to the girls was our place had (pause for dramatic effect) no WIFI!!! And, the first two days it rained and rained and rained and barely hit 60 degrees. What did we do? They figured it out – Twister, water balloons and finally putt-putt when the skies cleared. It was awesome, and I loved every minute of it!
The second (and perhaps most devastating to me) challenge was the pantry was equipped with exactly one salt shaker and one pepper shaker. Yikes, time to get creative to feed six of us for a few days! A quick trip to the grocery store, and with a few staples (butter, eggs, olive oil, vinegar, Mrs. Dash…) and careful planning, here’s what I came up with:
- rotisserie chicken, French bread from the bakery, big green salad with olive oil & vinegar
- steak seasoned with s&p and Mrs. Dash, cheese ravioli with simple tomato sauce, green salad with olive oil and vinegar (and of course s&p and Mrs. Dash)
- local peaches, grilled, serve with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with honey
- pan-roasted potatoes seasoned with s&p and Mrs. Dash (throw on sheet pan at 425 for 15-20 min), add chicken legs (seasoned with butter, s&p and more Mrs. Dash), cook for another 25-30 minutes. Serve with steamed broccoli, toss with butter or olive oil, s&p
- egg and cheese sandwiches, with fresh fruit
Oh, don’t worry, we had our fair share of junk food too. French fries, pizza, Candy Kitchen, Fishers popcorn… I’ll stop there before I totally embarrass myself. As for this week coming up, I’m planning on eating as much green as I possibly can – salads, salads and more salads.