My week of salad, salad and more salad started with this bounty from our garden – buttercrunch lettuce, chard, red kale, Lancinato kale and arugula:
Here’s what we did with all that good stuff!
- Kale salad, which is a great recipe, except I didn’t have white balsamic vinegar (so I used white wine vinegar), currants (so I chopped up some raisins) or pine nuts (so I used toasted slivered almonds).
- Buttercrunch lettuce salad (avocados, Zima tomatoes, vinaigrette), with grilled flat iron steak, rice pilaf.
- Roasted sweet potatoes (chili powder, cumin, oregano), grilled sausage, arugula salad.
- Chard with beans (and I added tomatoes), with polenta and parmesan cheese.
- Mujadara (seriously, this is an old favorite, so good and so cheap), with lemon juice and mint dressing, over whatever-greens-were-left-in-the-fridge.
This weekend we are having a Cuban dinner, with almost everything on this menu. If only we could get our hands on some Cuban cigars…. Hmmm….
John and I whipped up this Colombian masterpiece for his Spanish class this week. It’s amazing what you can accomplish from 4:30am-7:00am, especially if it involves baked goods….
He said everyone LOVED it, and wished there was more. Then, he spent the afternoon out on the river. What a great day!
Have a great weekend, everyone! xo M.