Lots of reasons to celebrate this week – Alex’s birthday, Fathers’ Day, last day of school…. Here’s what we put on our table, and some ideas for the upcoming week:
- Cornell BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, arugula salad with tomatoes. I tossed all mine together for a big luscious salad.
- Alex’s birthday was this week and he wanted brisket for dinner. So he smoked a brisket all day, and we had brisket with cole slaw and BBQ sauce for dinner. Homemade ice cream (made without the guava, the sour cream gives this ice cream a nice tart flavor) with strawberries for dessert. Happy Birthday honey!
- Lentils, rice and caramelized onions (or mujadara). You can dress it up with yogurt and tahini, but we like to serve ours overs green salad and tomatoes with a simple dressing (equal parts olive oil, lemon juice and fresh mint).
- Tonight is Fathers’ Day, and Alex asked for salmon. So, we’ll start with salmon on the grill, and serve it with pineapple avocado salad.
- Korean grilled chicken, with brown rice, and maybe some grilled broccoli (or maybe I’ll just steam it if there’s not enough room on the grill).
- We have a night swim meet this week, so I will grill some Italian sausages and serve with salad. No walking taco or hockey puck hamburger for me, please.
- Turkey meatballs with simple homemade tomato sauce, Israeli couscous, sautéed greens (still getting some from the garden, yay!).
- We still have half a bag of masa harina, so pupusas or gorditas will probably find their way on the menu later this week.
- Leftover lentils? Try these curried lentils with eggs. The ingredient list is long, but my friend Laura says she cheats sometimes and uses curry powder and garam masala. Sounds like a winner to me!
Enjoy! xoxo M.