This week I was feeling rather uninspired in the meal planning department. I sat in my car in the basement parking lot of Whole Foods on Sunday afternoon and tried to dream up an exciting menu for the first week of school. And, I sat. And sat. Uninspired and unexcited. Then, I realized, what we really need this week is basic good home cooked meals for the first week of school and soccer and soccer and soccer. Easy!
- Grilled Italian sausages, polenta with Italian cheese, sautéed zucchini with tomatoes and onions
- Roasted chicken & asparagus, garlic bread
- Hamburgers with sweet potato fries and kale salad
- Asian noodle salad with carrots, scallions and edamame
- Chicken with BBQ sauce, Bita rice (rice with noodles), steamed broccoli
- Sheet pan pizza with ham and artichokes, arugula salad
I visited the best bakery last weekend in Portland, Maine. The chocolate rye cookies were the best. So was the pecan sticky bun. And the plum frangipani tart. WOW! Next time I’m in New England I will go out of my way to visit the mother of all bake shops. How does chocolate pie sound? Or key lime? OK, now I’m feeling inspired.
Speaking of Disney (were we speaking of Disney?) I’ve had The Lion King stuck in my head all week since feeling “uninspired” on Sunday. And, at Church on Sunday, John whispered in my ear that the meditation song sounded like a Disney princess tune. Could Not Stop Giggling. I love it when my kids make me laugh.
I hope your back-to-school routines are going well. xo M.