Last week I used almost a whole day of vacation hours to stay home and clean. Loads and loads of laundry, changed sheets, swiffered under the beds and couches, cleaned the fridge…. It felt good to get it done. I miss having that bonus time around the house! Remember when you had your first baby and they said, “Relax your standards, and sleep when the baby sleeps.” And you thought, “Yeah, right, no way am I relaxing my standards.” I think that talk should be saved for when you have a house full of teenagers. My standards are sooooo relaxed now, and my sleep may actually be more interrupted with teenage drivers than with newborns….
I feel like that little gift of found time sparked my creativity with meal planning. Here’s what we’re eating this week:
- Friday night we treated ourselves to fish (fresh mahimahi was on sale) in a ginger soy sauce, with a loaf of fresh hot sourdough wheat bread and kale salad.
- Last night was roasted sweet potato and broccoli with wild rice and miso dressing. Yummy welcome-to-fall dinner. We served it over greens from the garden, with toasted pepitas on top. I’d make it again, but add more ginger and miso and less tahini.
- Since we have miso on hand, we’ll make miso soup with tofu one night this week for an easy meal. Yes, adding the kombu and bonito makes a big difference. Maybe stir fry the extra tofu to go with it.
- Potato and leek soup. (Is there a soup theme going on here?)
- Brussel sprouts and butternut squash were on sale, so I bought both. I’m thinking I’ll roast chicken legs and brussel sprouts one night, and roast the squash another night for a big fall salad. Or, if I want to keep with the soup theme, butternut squash soup sounds good too.
- Easy pasta dish with Italian sausage and tomato sauce.
- If I can find the time (and energy) I’m hoping to add some treats to the menu this week: pumpkin roll, apple crisp, apple cookies, matzoh crunch….
Thursday was senior parents night at John’s last home soccer game of the season. Four years of high school varsity soccer for my little (big) guy. What a great athlete, and all around nice young man he is 🙂
Have a great week! xo M.