We will have a Traditional Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Surprises or trying new things have been ruled out around here, along with sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts. We save those for the days after Thanksgiving to eat with the leftover turkey. Here’s what’s on our menu this year:
- Grilled turkey (brined for 24 hours first, then grilled because it tastes so good and frees up the oven for the day)
- Southern cornbread stuffing (from a handwritten recipe card that’s been in the family for as long as I can remember, like before disco and bell bottoms even)
- Bread stuffing with artichokes and parmesan (this was a new recipe on the table a few years ago, and it was so good we kept it in the rotation)
- Mashed potatoes (no recipe needed, but when you think you’ve added enough butter and milk, add another stick just in case)
- Sauerkraut (it’s a Baltimore thing)
- Corn pudding
- Carrots with sage
- Balsamic green beans
- Cranberry relish (yes, I’m sneaking something new in this year!)
- Pumpkin pie
- Apple-Pear pie
- Chocolate fudge cookies
One more tradition: paglia e fieno pasta for the night before Thanksgiving. Because, you know, we all need to carb up before the big day.
Happy Happy Happy! xo M.