I thought it would be fun to do a sort of reverse meal-planning post, where I document what we actually ate for dinner for a week or two and see how it matched the meal-planning. Now, I will admit this past week was not very well planned, as Alex and I were out of town for a few days the weekend prior and had some major catching-up to do once we got back home. Seems like something-cooked-over-salad is the repeating theme….
- Tue – salmon, garlicky kale, Spanish rice, and I cooked up a big batch of wheat berries to have on hand for the rest of the week. It all made for a fantastic lunch the next day too.
- Wed – Mexican lasagne – corn tortillas layered with black beans, chicken, diced tomatoes, cheese and sour cream.
- Thu – lentils, sausage, green salad
- Fri – by Friday night, I found wrapping presents and making cards and bows much more fun than making dinner…. By the time the kids were all out and about for the evening, I had my Friday-night standby of salad with eggs
- Sat – pork tenderloin (I wanted mojo but ran out of time, so rubbed it with Borsari and roasted it), over salad with fire-roasted corn, tomatoes, avocadoes
- Sun – spinach salad (clementines, edamame, avos with oj/vinegar/oil/onion dressing), grilled NY strip steak
- Mon – Breakfast was a batch of Morning Glory Scones and dinner was quick minestrone soup (sadly undocumented by photos)
- Tues – I ran into Safeway and encountered this danger danger danger in the freezer section on my way back to the milk. Luckily, we had some tortellini with sausage and green beans already cooking at home, or it may have been Haagen Dazs for dinner….
- Wed – simple roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes, roasted chicken breasts, over spinach salad. Lunch the next day was salad with sweet potatoes and peanuts, like a deconstructed Ground Nut Stew
- Thur – matzoh lasagne with canned tomatoes, Italian sausage, mozzarella and Parm cheese. So simple and yet tasty for a crowd (that would be my kids after soccer practice)
- Fri – I can’t remember what we ate, but the photo in my iPhone from the day was this quote: “Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.” Hmmm….
- Sat – I hate to bore you, but more salad, with roasted veggies and pepitas for mom and dad, and Romaine with tomatoes, avos, grilled chicken and yogurt Ranch dressing for the girls.
What’s up for this week?
- Sun (Superbowl) – I’m going to make a big pan of nachos with all the usual fixings, although these fancy nachos look awesome too!
- Mon – I’m thinking serious comfort food, like chicken and dumplings, or shepherd’s pie, or potato cauliflower curry soup
- Tue – Shrove Tuesday, this is easy meal planning…. usually it’s buttermilk pancakes/waffles, turkey sausage, apples. This year I think I’ll switch things up a bit and make this Dutch Baby. Yum
- Wed (Ash Wed) – fried rice with tofu, or these Japanese vegetable pancakes, or these brussels sprouts
- Thu – How about a classic Bolognese with pasta?
- Fri – Well, this one is easy. Definitely a batch of red velvet brownies in preparation for Valentines Day.
Have a great week everyone, and I hope your favorite team wins 🙂 xo M.