Menu planning was not really a hardship this weekend. I sat poolside on a perfectly sunny day, catching up on a pile of cooking magazines while the kids swam. Have I mentioned how much I love summertime?
- Cobb Salad. I love this salad because you can offer a variety of protein and flavor add-ins. We used the last of the greens from the garden for ours. How sad for now, but there’ll be more in the fall!
- BBQ ribs, corn on the cob, watermelon with mint. Not because I want to have my oven on all day, but because it’s a great rub recipe and I can throw them in a low oven at noon, then finish on the grill with BBQ sauce at 5 and be done for the day!
- Salmon nicoise salad. Another great salad idea. Start with lettuce and top with Mediterranean flavors this time.
- Steak and wedge salad. Found some flat iron steak at WFM last weekend. Super cheap and super tasty! This week I went with grass fed sirloin.
- Roast chicken, maybe with some brown rice and broccoli.
- Green chile-turkey burgers.
- Fattoush and lamb kebabs with mint lemonade.
John is traveling in Greece right now. I love that the first (and only) picture I get from him is a bakery window. My kids know me so well….
Have a great week everyone! xo M.
Summertime means we need to increase our fluid intake, right? I’m starting with iced coffee and gin and tonic. How about you? When it’s time for food, here’s what we’ve been eating at our house:
- BBQ chicken with mediterranean couscous (olives, tomatoes, feta, olive oil & lemon dressing)
- Sirloin steak, broiled, with black bean/corn/lime salsa (black beans, corn, scallions, cilantro, chile powder, then sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, s&p)
- Pasta with sausages and red peppers (whole wheat spaghetti, Italian sausage, diced red peppers, can of diced tomatoes, parmesan cheese)
- Chickpea falafel with pita and yogurt/cucumber sauce (chickpeas, parsley, egg, cumin, s&p in food processor, fry in skillet 2 min per side)
Just for fun we stopped at Shake Shack when we were in Baltimore last week, and I whipped up a chocolate cake just because it was Saturday.
Next up are these beauties:
Hope you’re having as much fun as I am! xo M.
I love May – the longer warmer days, the celebration of Mothers, the flowering gardens, the pool opening and the birthday of my firstborn. This year we had a few added events to celebrate and make the month extra-special!
We kicked off the month with prom –
Then moved into Mothers’ Day and the firstborn’s 22nd birthday (no pics, but it did happen). We took a trip to Boston for a college graduation –
And returned home just in time for the Blue Angels and a high school graduation –
We cooked for 15 in a rental kitchen and roasted a pig for 50 –
So, what did we eat? And what are we eating next? To be honest, it’s all a bit of a blur. I do know what’s on the menu tonight, because it was created by my youngest to celebrate her 13th birthday today (the emphases are all hers):
- Steak “RARE” seasoned with Borsari
- Pasta with ham and bacon and peas “YES HAM AND BACON”
- Green beans “LIKE MOM MAKES THEM”
- Chocolate cake with strawberry-raspberry filling and chocolate frosting “THREE LAYERS OF CAKE”
Hope your month was extra-special too! xo M.