I’ll admit, life around here is different with just two kids at home. We’re hearing things like,”You guys pay way too much attention to me now,” and “Why are you suddenly so interested in coming to my games? It’s weird,” and “Don’t you and dad want to go out tonight? You never go out. Please go out.” It’s an interesting and new dynamic, no doubt!
It’s been a while since I’ve shared what we’re eating. Here’s some of the highlights from the past few weeks:
- Cauliflower soup
- Roasted chicken and chickpeas
- Pearled couscous with corn and green beans, with broiled steak
- Marcella’s meatballs, pasta with garlic olive oil parsley, green beans
- (A special note here about Marcella Hazan – her Classic Italian Cookbook is THE CLASSIC ITALIAN COOKBOOK! It is no longer in print but buy it if you can find it. You will not be disappointed. No fancy ingredients. Just real Italian food and cooking with excellent directions.)
- Chicken tomatillo tacos
- Homemade pasta with sausage ragu
- Sticky chicken (my grandmother’s recipe is still the best)
- Speaking of oldies but goodies, how about my mom’s grilled cheese pie. Still quick and delish for a busy weeknight or a weekend afternoon.
- Beet salad (FYI, this really is the best way to roast beets)
- Marcella’s eggplant sauce, made into a lasagne, which by the way the girls ate without knowing they were eating eggplant.
- Lemon chicken with broiled potatoes and spinach
- Finally, we celebrated a special friend’s birthday last weekend with a huge Turkish lamb dinner. It was phenomenal. When my kids ask why we don’t go out to eat, I show them pics of the meals and memories we create right here at home.
Have a great week, everyone! xo M.