It’s been too long since I’ve updated and shared my menu planning! We’ve done some traveling, some gardening and some baking over the past few weeks. The gardens are exploding and the chickens are (finally) laying eggs!
We surprised my mother-in-law in Oakland for her 70th birthday – awesomely fun 3 days celebrating with the West Coast family. It was great to see everyone again and certainly made me wish there wasn’t so much land between us so we could visit more often. Of course, the food was amazing – paella, ribs, BBQ veggies, chopped salads and cake 🙂
My sisters-in-law got me to sign up for Stitchfix and Blue Apron. Do you like my new fancy pants? Definitely out of my black-pants-to-work comfort zone but I think that’s the whole point…. And, the Blue Apron meals came in handy when we were out of town. The kids and grandparents had home-cooked dinners without having to plan and shop. Have you tried any of these fashion or food subscriptions? What do you think?
(Please excuse the obvious location of this photo! Yes, I’m standing in the ladies room holding my lunch. I needed a full length mirror!)
We weren’t home for long before Alex and I headed out to Albuquerque to visit Ana. (We are getting a head start on this empty-nesters thing.) We had an action and food packed four days – from hiking and fly-fishing in the mountains, to the Rio Grande gorge in Taos, $4 breakfast burritos, unbelievable flavors in Santa Fe, and BBQ’ing with old and new friends – we enjoyed every minute and are already planning our next trip.
Back home, we’re eating lots of greens from the garden, salad variations and starting to break out the BBQ.
- pan con tomate (one of the simplest and most flavorful things you can make!!!)
- pasta salad with roasted tomatoes
- New Mexico posole (we cheated a bit and used the posole kit from The Shed)
- fish with lemon and green olives
- coconut rice with Brussels sprouts
- grilled chicken with vegetables (you can never have too many ideas for this type of dinner!)
- date feta and red cabbage salad
- Superfood salad
- grilled chicken with chimichurri (because chimichurri is soooo good on everything)
- spaghetti frittata (because you almost always have spaghetti and eggs in the house)
See you all next week! xo M.