How do we do birthdays? Over the years, we have tried to avoid more “stuff.” When the kids were younger, and there were parties and presents to contend with, we offered a big party on the even years and a big present on the odd years. And, the birthday person always gets to choose the menu for the day. For this one’s 14th birthday last week, we were handed a very specific meal plan, including steak, Israeli couscous, grilled asparagus and chocolate raspberry cake for dinner!
And then, there are reasons to cook on the non-birthdays:
- Remember the pie crust in the freezer from a few weeks ago? That turned into an apple tart.
- Post 10-miler recovery meal? Turkey burgers and green salad with home-grown cauliflower.
- A new twist on lemon-rosemary chicken.
- Saved half the loaf from the last panzanella, so tried a new variation.
- Bought eggplant on a whim? Pasta with eggplant and walnuts.
- Something you know everyone will eat? Tortellini w/peas and prosciutto.
- Something you know everyone will eat, with green stuff? Chicken caesar pasta salad.
- Finally tried Aldi and picked up some good deals? Fajitas, black beans, corn tortillas, yellow squash with Tajin.
- Extra strawberries? Easy strawberry cake!
- Tired of the usual cooking shows? Check out Moltissimo!!!
Enjoy! xo M.